Monday, September 8, 2014

Who am I...right now

I am a Nuyorican poet born and raised in Brooklyn.  I say it proud because just like NYC it's beginning to be hard to find actual Brooklynites.  I have instilled in me the idea that you can actually make a living out of what you truly love doing.  Sometimes I'm the leader of the movement and other times when I have to look at the price of things, consider what I would save or what I would lose, I feel like a poser.  I recently left my good paying job to finish and finally graduate.  Also I felt like it was taking over my life.  I didn't love it and I wanted to devote myself to my writing.  The time is now.

The reason I am participating is because I have a love hate relationship with social media and technology.  I've always been the last in let's say my group of friends to get a computer, iPod, laptop you name it.  And not because I didn't have the money (only partially true) but because I never wanted to jump on the bandwagon that was well all the trends there ever were. It's where I can share my stories but it's where I stay in the know of people's lives and honestly sometimes I really don't care.  I find it so interesting how social has taken everyone's lives.  My old job required me to post on my Facebook all the time and I mean aaaallllllll the time and we would get in trouble if we didn't.  Since I have left I have been given the opportunity to see just how strong of a hold social media has on people.  People post everything! What they're doing now tomorrow next week, where they're eating who they're with what they thought about a movie what they're feel etc.  Some people can't go a day without checking social media.  People have posted about going on social media breaks because it's too much for them. Geez it's that serious? (I wonder if anyone has tested how many times on average checks their social media.  If not can I do it?)  I've always thought social media to be a generation NOW thing but like everything else, it's never that simple.

I have Facebook Instagram and Twitter but don't really use my twitter.  Instagram is whatever but I always wish I could delete my Facebook.  Look at that, I wish. Sad.  I say I wish because without it I feel like I'm missing something.  Or is that how we've been made to feel?



No comments:

Post a Comment